Current Research in the Forensic Division
Ferlauto M and Frierson RL: Involuntary Commitment and the Probate Judge: A Survey -- a survey of S.C. Probate Judges who conduct civil commitment hearings about their knowledge regarding mental illness, the factors that govern their issuance of an emergency detention order, the factors that lead to commitment, and their view of psychiatric testimony in commitment proceedings
Buckland J and Frierson RL: Threats of Violence: South Carolina Psychiatrist’s Duty to Protect: a survey of South Carolina Psychiatrists about how they respond to patients who threaten to harm another individual, funded by a $2500.00 grant from the Division of Education, Training and Research, South Carolina Department of Mental Health
Frierson RL, Boyd M, and Harper A: Attorney Understanding of Mental Illness and Mental Illness Verdicts: A thirty-two item questionnaire for prosecuting and defense lawyers in South Carolina asking for definitions of common mental illness terms, mental illness verdicts, and overall attitudes about psychiatric patients.
Campbell JC and Frierson RL: Correctional Officers Attitudes’ Towards the Mentally Ill: A Survey: A survey of 1,570 SCDC Correctional Officers at Lee, Leiber, and Kirkland correctional facilities to assess their understanding of and attitudes toward people with mental illness. 671 surveys were returned. The results of the surveys were correlated with officer experience working with this population and other demographic factors.
Publications in the Forensic Division
- Rogers R, Harrison KS, Rogstad JE, LaFortune KA, & Hazelwood LL. The role of suggestibility in determinations of Miranda abilities: A study of the Gudjonsson Suggestibility Scales. Law and Human Behavior, 2010, 34:66-78.
- Buckland JJ and Frierson RL: Legal Digest: Constitutionality of the Federal Sex-Offender Commitment Law, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2009, 37:556-8
- Frierson RL and Campbell NN: Commentary: Core Competencies and the Training of Psychiatric Residents in Therapeutic Risk Management, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2009, 37:165-167.
- Freeman B and Frierson RL: Legal Digest: Court Mandated Long-Acting Antipsychotic Medication as a Condition of Supervised Release, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2009, 37:268-70
- Rogers R, Hazelwood LL, Sewell KW, Blackwood HL, Rogstad JE, & Harrison KS. Development and initial validation of the Miranda Vocabulary Scale. Law & Human Behavior, 2010, 33:381-392.
- Morris DR and Frierson RL: Pro Se Competence in the Aftermath of Indiana v. Edwards, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2008, 36:551-7
Frierson RL and Jacoby KA: Legal Aspects of Dementia, in Dementias – Vol. 89 in Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 3rd edition, Litvan I and Duyckaerts C, Eds. Elsevier Publishing, London, 2008
- Rogers R, Hazelwood LL, Sewell KW, Harrison KS, & Shuman DW. The language of Miranda in American jurisdictions: A replication and further analysis. Law & Human Behavior, 2008, 32:124-136.
- Mossman D, Noffsinger SG, Ash P, Frierson RL, Gerbasi J, Lewis CF, Pinals DA, Scott CL, Sieg K, and Wall B: Practice Guideline: Forensic Psychiatric Evaluation of Competence to Stand Trial, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2007, 35(4Supp.)
- Harrison KS, Rogers R. Axis I screens and suicide risk in jails: A comparative analysis. Assessment, 2007, 14:171-180.
- Rogers R, Harrison KS, Hazelwood LL, Sewell KW. Knowing and intelligent: A study of Miranda warnings in mentally disordered defendants. Law & Human Behavior, 2007, 31:401-418.
Frierson RL, Dwyer, RG, Bell CC, Williamson JL: The Mandatory Registration of Juvenile Sex Offenders and Commitment of Juveniles as Sexually Violent Predators: Controversies and Recommendations. Adolescent Psychiatry: The Annals of the American Society for Adolescent Psychiatry, 2007, 30:55-62
- Rogers R, Harrison KS, Shuman DW, Sewell KW, & Hazelwood LL. An analysis of Miranda warnings and waivers: Comprehension and coverage. Law & Human Behavior, 2007, 31:177-192.
- Dwyer, RG, Bell CC, Frierson RL, Williamson JL: Use of Assessment Data for Research in Juvenile Justice: An Exploratory Study of Sex Offenders. Adolescent Psychiatry: The Annals of the American Society for Adolescent Psychiatry, 2007, 30:63-68
- Williamson JL, Bell CC, Dwyer RG, Frierson RL: Toward a Better Juvenile Justice System: A City-State Partnership. Adolescent Psychiatry: The Annals of the American Society for Adolescent Psychiatry, 2007, 30:47-53
Frierson RL. The Suicidal Patient: Risk Assessment, Management, and Documentation. Psychiatric Times, April 2007, 24 (5):29-32
- Freeman B, Buckland JJ, Dwyer RG, Frierson RL. Hypnotics and Driving. Current Psychiatry, 2007, 6:38-53
- Rogers R, Jordan MJ, Harrison KS. Facets of psychopathy, Axis II traits, and behavioral dysregulation among jail detainees. Behavioral Sciences & the Law, 2007, 25: 471-483.
- Rogers R., Sewell KW, Harrison KS, Jordan MS. The MMPI-2 Restructured Clinical Scales: A paradigmatic shift in scale development. Journal of Personality Assessment, 2006, 87:139-147.
Joshi KG, Frierson RL, Gunter TD: Shared Delusional Disorder and Criminal Responsibility: A Review and Case Report of Folie à Trois, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2006, 34:511-517
- Frierson RL: Chapter 12: Legal Issues and Forensic Psychiatry, in National Medical Series: Psychiatry, 5th edition, Thornhill, JT ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins: Media, PA, 2006
- Markowitz J and Frierson RL: The Prosecution and Civil Commitment of Pregnant Women Who Abuse Drugs: A Review and Commentary, American Journal of Forensic Psychiatry, 2006, 27(2):33-44
- Dwyer RG and Frierson RL: The Presence of Low IQ and Mental Retardation among Murder Defendants Referred for Pretrial Evaluation, Journal of Forensic Sciences, 2006, 51(3): 678-82
Schwartz-Watts DM and Frierson RL: Crisis Stabilization in Correctional Settings, in Clinical Practice in Correctional Medicine, 2nd edition, M Puisis, Ed. Mobley Elsevier Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
Sloat LM and Frierson RL: Juror Knowledge and Attitude Regarding Mental Illness Verdicts, Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 2005, 32(2): 208-213
- Vitacco MJ, Rogers R, Neumann CS, Harrison KS, Vincent G. A comparison of factor models on the PCL-R with mentally disordered offenders: The development of a four-factor model. Criminal Justice & Behavior, 2005, 32:526-545.
- Frierson RL and Finkenbine RD: Psychiatric and Neurological Characteristics of Murder Defendants Referred for Pretrial Evaluation, Journal of Forensic Sciences 2004, 49(3): 604-9
- Rogers R, Jackson RL, Sewell KW, Harrison KS. An examination of the ECST-R as a screen for feigned incompetency to stand trial. Psychological Assessment, 2004, 16:139-145.
- Rogers R, Jordan MJ, Harrison KS. A critical review of competency-to-confess measures. Law & Human Behavior, 2004, 28:707-718.
- Young SA, Frierson RL, Dwyer RG, and Shah A: Commitment versus Confinement: Therapeutic Passes in the Management of Insanity Acquittees. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 2002, 30 (4): 563-7
- Frierson RL, Melikian M, and Wadman PG: Principles of Suicide Risk Assessment: How to interview depressed patients and tailor treatment. Postgraduate Medicine 2002, 112(3): 65-71.
- Frierson RL, Shea SJ, and Shea MB: Competence-to-Stand-Trial Evaluations of Geriatric Defendants. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 2002, 30(2): 252-56.
- Frierson RL and Binkley MW: Prosecution of Illicit Drug use During Pregnancy: Crystal Ferguson v. City of Charleston. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 2001, 29(4): 469-73.
- Frierson RL: Chapter 12: Legal Issues, in National Medical Series: Psychiatry, 4th edition, Scully, JH ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins: Media, PA, March 2001
- Frierson RL, Schwartz DM, Morgan DM, and Malone TG: Capital versus Noncapital Murderers. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 1998, 26(3): 403-410.
- Frierson RL and Faulkner LR: Book Review: Evaluation of the Psychiatric Patient: A Primer, by Seymour Halleck, M.D. Academic Psychiatry 1992, 16(1):52-53.